Bible linking function

Important notes:
1. The whole scripture may be seen by clicking on the Bible references to read.

2. You may sign up to follow these devotions when new ones post. First, sign in with your gmail account at top right. Second, click the blue follow button in the column on the right.

3. To email Interlocking Ministries, send to interlockingdevotion@gmail.com

Friday, May 29, 2015

Entertainment With Principles

Bible Reading:
Philippians 4:8, 2 Timothy 2:22, 1 Corinthians 10:12

Focus verse: 1 Corinthians 10:23 "You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial."

Daily activities and entertainment should be chosen with God's principles in mind.  Philippians 4:8 reminds me to think about things that are worthy.  2 Timothy 2:22 helps me to know that I should not be looking at movies that stir up lust in my heart, but instead to watch or listen to things that pursue righteous living.  1 Cor 10:32 reminds me that just because I can do something, it doesn't mean that I should.  I need to know if it is beneficial to myself and to others as well as the cause of Christ.

Since the Bible says to fix your thoughts on things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable then we should only watch or listen to things that will be worthy of praise.  Since the Bible says to run from things that stimulate youthful lust, then we shouldn't watch videos (or internet) that would cause those feelings.  The Bible says that not everything is good/beneficial for you, and something can be "ok" but is it beneficial?

My goal is to keep my thoughts based on things that are honorable so not to fill my mind with garbage from movies, music, and internet.  I want to chose entertainment that will be worthy of praise and not be ashamed of what I do.  I will have accountability with a friend that can ask me about what I've been watching or listening to and be open about it.  Do you want to find a friend and ask them to help you be accountable for your decisions on music, movies and internet use?

~Tamara Johnson
student, Word of Life Bible Institute

No comments:

Post a Comment