Bible linking function

Important notes:
1. The whole scripture may be seen by clicking on the Bible references to read.

2. You may sign up to follow these devotions when new ones post. First, sign in with your gmail account at top right. Second, click the blue follow button in the column on the right.

3. To email Interlocking Ministries, send to interlockingdevotion@gmail.com

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Pleasure is All Vanity

Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 2:1-11

Focus Verse: Ecclesiastes 2:10  “Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them.  I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart rejoiced in all my labor, and this was my reward from all my labor.” 

Wow!  Our focus verse sounds like Solomon was headed for disaster if he didn’t change something.  I would be in big trouble if I gave my eyes anything they desired or gave my heart anything it desired.  The Bible says in Jeremiah 17:9  “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked.  Who really knows how bad it is?"  If you follow your heart as Solomon was doing, it will get you into trouble every time.  We are to lead our heart, not follow it.  We can lead our heart to follow Jesus.   Once again, Solomon did not deprive himself of any pleasure he wanted and he came to the same conclusion.  He says in verse 11 “Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled, and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind.  There was no profit under the sun.”  
Have you ever tried to catch the wind?  You can’t do it.  It’s like trying to grasp sand, it slips right through your fingers.  Jesus tell us a story in Luke 12 starting in verse 15 about a rich fool.  Jesus says “Beware. Guard against every kind of greed.  Life is not measured by how much stuff you have.  Solomon became an example of all that a person could gain, even the whole world and yet be no richer for it.  There is a song "Give me Jesus" that says it so well. “You can have all this world - Just give me Jesus”

Bobby Johnson
Interlocking Ministries
Link to "Give me Jesus" song video: https://youtu.be/9rZ8k9m2hwo

No comments:

Post a Comment