Bible linking function

Important notes:
1. The whole scripture may be seen by clicking on the Bible references to read.

2. You may sign up to follow these devotions when new ones post. First, sign in with your gmail account at top right. Second, click the blue follow button in the column on the right.

3. To email Interlocking Ministries, send to interlockingdevotion@gmail.com

Friday, August 20, 2021

When You Order What You Don't Know

Scripture reading:

Mark 10:35-38 - Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”  “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked. They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”  “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”


About three years back I was privileged to visit the USA. One thing I will never forget was the many American foods that I could see in the restaurants we visited. They looked delicious but I became so careful not to order what I didn’t know so I let my host Bobby and Page to always guide my menu. I may have looked remote in the eyes of other men but I was being honest to myself and others. I had surely not seen a “hot dog” so I had to be careful in ordering such a meal. It’s obvious that if you ask what you don’t know but pretend to know it, then you may look a fool before the people. You may end up wasting your money or get humiliated before others. 


The two sons of Zebedee make “honorary” request to be allowed to sit one on the right and another to the left in Christ’s glory. Jesus tells them, “You don’t know what you are asking”. He then explains to them who is able to sit on the sides of the Lord in His glory. They would later realize that what they were asking for, had suffering associated with it.


That’s how believers have often behaved! We have not allowed God’s will to happen but keep asking for what we think will make us comfortable. We pretend to know it all and do not want to spend time with Him or listen to His wisdom. We follow Christ but at times with wrong motives e.g. looking fame or other physical request. Our concern at times has been how to make ourselves happy and we are not willing to suffer with Christ. At times we want to lean on our own understanding and not trusting in Him for direction. God understands what’s best for us even during hard and trying moments. We must not allow our ego or our situations to guide our requests to Him. We need to fully trust in Him and allow His will to happen. We must not look for what will satisfy our earthly desires but look for that which is eternal.


Pastor Eliazar Wambo
Makira Baptist Church – Mfangano Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment