Bible linking function

Important notes:
1. The whole scripture may be seen by clicking on the Bible references to read.

2. You may sign up to follow these devotions when new ones post. First, sign in with your gmail account at top right. Second, click the blue follow button in the column on the right.

3. To email Interlocking Ministries, send to interlockingdevotion@gmail.com

Friday, July 30, 2021

We Race to Win

We Race to Win

Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Focus Verse: Acts 20:24  " However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me, the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

The Olympic Games are taking place in Tokyo, Japan right now.  I have been able to watch many different sports on the TV.  The other night I watched the USA and Kenya play rugby.  Some of the sports are running, swimming, gymnastics, sailing, weightlifting, bicycling and many other sports.  I was amazed as I watched one of the races.  It was a swimming race.  There were many different countries represented.  As the race was coming to the end the athlete from the USA was in fourth place.  I thought "oh no he’s going to lose the race.”  But then something amazing happened, he started swimming with all the energy that he had at the very end of the race and he finished in first place to win the gold medal.  Everyone was shocked how he passed the other swimmers at the end.

The Bible has a lot to say about races.  It compares our lives here on earth to a race.  There are winners and losers in the race of life.  The apostle Paul said his only aim was to finish the race and complete the task Jesus had given him.  Paul gave his all to complete the task, much like the swimmer did to win the race.  How is your race going?  How is my race going?  We will all make mistakes along the way.  We may stumble and even fall.  The important thing is what do we do after we fall?  Do we quit or do we get back up and finish the race strong?  Paul says in Philippians 3:13-14 “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended, but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.  I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

When we come to the end of our lives will we be able to say what Paul said?  2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”   Jesus has promised to help us.  We should all be in this race to win because we know God has an eternal prize waiting for us.

Bobby Johnson
Interlocking Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment